In this section

How to get an ID

A couple forms of ID opens up heaps of possibilities and getting yourself one doesn’t have to be a big task. Here’s the info and support that will help you get your ID sorted.

Paying for your ID

Don’t panic! We know it can be expensive applying for photo ID. If you need financial assistance, Work and Income[link to What Work and Income can offer] may be able to help. If you’re under 24 Youthline can help pay for your ID.

First things first: A birth certificate.

You will need a birth certificate to order an 18+ card. If you don’t have your original birth certificate you will need to apply for a new one, which costs $26.50. If you have a credit card and an address you can order it over the phone.

Call 0800 225 252 to order.

If you don’t have a credit card or address fill out your application online. You will need to get someone who has known you for 6 months or more to fill in one of the sections of the form. Once you’re done, head to this address to complete the process.

Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages

Level 6, AA Building
99 Albert Street
Auckland 1010

New Zealand 18+ card

Getting an 18+ card can be expensive ($35 + $10 for passport photos), but it’s a very worthwhile thing to have. You’ll need a few things to secure it, namely:

A referee

You will need a person who has known you for a year or more to fill in one of the sections of the 18+ application form. This person must have a 18+ card, passport or driver’s licence to prove their identity. They will also need to sign your passport photo to verify that it’s you.

Passport sized photo

Lambs Pharmacy are the cheapest place to get passport photos. They are located at 173 K’Rd and it will cost you $10.

Proof of address

This can be a bill or WINZ letter addressed to you at your address. If you don’t have an address you can change your mailing address with Work & Income to Lifewise (453 Karangahape Rd). Once Work & Income have sent you mail you can use this as your proof of address.

A JP’s (Justice of the Peace) signature

When you have completed everything else, take your 18+ card application form to a JP and fill in
the ‘official statement’ in front of them. They will also need to see the passport photo that
has been signed by your referee.

Where to find a JP

Use this tool to locate your nearest JP. There are two JPs based in the CBD:

JP Service Desk at Auckland District Court

65-69 Albert St, CBD
Mon to Fri 10am – 2pm

JP Service Desk at Auckland City Library

44-46 Lorne Street, CDB
09 302 3676
Mon to Friday 12pm – 2pm
Saturday 10am – 12 Noon